The McMullens

The McMullens

photo

Evans and

Lenora McMullen celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary Oct. 13 by taking the whole month of October to visit relatives and friends in Gainesville, Fla.; Paducah, Ky.; Conyers, Toccoa and Blue Ridge.

On Oct. 13, they celebrated their anniversary with their son, Dr. James McMulllen, and Jane Headly, his mother-in-law, in Highlands, N.C.

Evans McMullen and Lenora Pennisi were united in marriage Oct. 13, 1952, in Gainesville, Fla., at the 14th Street Church of Christ. The ceremony was performed by Evangelist Roy Dicks, Lake City, Fla. Lenora is the daughter of the late Louis and Catherine Pennisi of Gainesville, Fla. Evans is the son of the late Joe K. and Mae McMullen of Valdosta.

After graduating from Georgia Christian School, Evans entered Florida Christian College at Temple Terrace in 1947. In 1951, he received a Bachelor of Arts in Bible and History. He was the president of the Student Council in 1950, voted the most popular student in 1951 and received the President’s Award when he graduated in 1951. In 1952 he returned to FCC to work with the school as Men’

s Dormitory Supervisor and be over the athletic program.

Lenora is a graduate of Gainesville High School in Gainesville, Fla., where she was in the Tri-Hi-Y Club, Raven Club, Chorus and the Senior Honor Society. She graduated in 1951 and enrolled at Florida Christian College where she was in the chorus and voted a Campus Beauty. This is where Lenora and Evans met.

After their marriage in 1952, they moved to Hahira, where Evans was the preacher until October 1956. They moved to Griffin where he was the preacher for the South Hill Street Church of Christ until June 1976.

They have three children, Dr. James McMullen of Conyers; Robert McMullen, owner of the Gold Plate Restaurant; and Bonita McM

ullen, architect pursuing a Master’s Degree at SPCU in Atlanta. The McMullens have two granddaughters, Krysta Ward and Lindsay McMullen.

While in Griffin, Lenora worked for pediatrician Dr. Grady Black and for the Spalding County School System. In June 1976 the McMullens moved to Valdosta where Lenora began working for the Lowndes County Department of Family & Children’s Services until she retired in 1996. Evans became the preacher for the Statenville Church of Christ, and also, became a manager of his brother’s restaurant, the Gold Plate. In September 1981, he and his son, Robert, purchased the Gold Plate from J.C. and Judy McMullen. They remained partners until Robert and his wife Ingrid became the sole owners of the restaurant. In June 1988, Evans became the preacher for the St. Augustine Road Church of Christ until 1996.

After retiring

, Evans and Lenora have traveled extensively abroad. They have been around the world twice and visited friends and family four times in Australia and traveled in every state in the U.S. except Nebraska. In 1996 Evans became the preacher for the Lake Park Church of Christ until 2000. At the present time, he is preaching again in Statenville. He has been preaching for more than 64 years.

The McMullens are now living in Dasher on a section of the homeplace where he and his four brothers were born.